Orders by post to John Cowell, 5 Tinsley Avenue, Southport, Merseyside, PR8 6HT.
Payment by cheque, please, payable to John Cowell.
The book is based on extensive research in the archives of the two surviving congregations in Southport. There are ten chapters, thirteen appendices, 80 illustrations, 2,000 short biographies, and an index. The hardback volume contains 750 pages and is beautifully produced.
Please note: Cazneau Publishing exists solely for the purpose of promoting sales of the book, “Philanthropy, Consensus and Broiges: managing a Jewish community. A history of the Southport Jewish community.” If you have a book you want to publish, I strongly recommend Carnegie Publishing, in Lancaster
The story in a nutshell
The Orthodox Congregation has had only two homes in the 127 years of its existence, the first being a converted Plymouth Brethren’s church in Sussex Road, which still stands. This was soon too small for the growing congregation, which moved in 1926 to the current synagogue in Arnside Road, which is now much too large for most occasions, but is regarded with great affection by many former members, who come to Southport for special events.
A Reform Congregation was formed in 1948. The book charts its history, beginning with a residence of a few years in the former Girls’ Club in West Street, then moving, in 1957, to a purchased home in the former Friends’ Meeting House in Portland Street; after 2000 it downsized to premises next door, in Princes Street.
John Cowell is a retired librarian. Born in Blackpool, he attended the local Grammar School, then read Classics at Pembroke College, Cambridge. His previous books have been on the Preston and Bolton Jewish communities, the latter with Hilary Thomas. He is Chairman of the Liverpool Branch of the Jewish Historical Society.
In late July 1925, the Building Committee considered the windows for the new synagogue again, and instructed that one particular glass, over the Ark, was not to have Masonic symbols such as the Square and Compasses, and any crosses should be removed, and that Roman numerals should be replaced by Hebrew letters. The next month, in late August 1925, Rev Blaser was obliged to draw attention to the cross on the roof of the building, which shows how far on the building was by this time, and how the builders were perhaps confused about the religion practised by the congregation!